Nga, another host-mum for some girls in the group, taught us how to weave flax into flowers and also some Cook Island dancing. It was so fun.
We also hiked Rangitoto, the most recent and largest volcano in Auckland at 800 years old. I've been wanting to do this the whole time I've been here and finally crossed it off my list! It is a Maori name meaning "Bloody Sky." So, that was pretty cool. We had to ride a ferry over to the island and it was a pretty steep walk up to the summit. The view of Auckland City from the top was amazing. One last look over the city that I've grown to love was a perfect farewell activity for me. We also trudged through some lava caves and explored around for a while.



And, of course the enjoyable chore of packing and strategically placing my cornucopia of stuff into my not-ever-big-enough suitcases is my current activity. It's like clothes/souvenirs tetrus. But I'm determined to bring it all back with me one way or another.I leave Friday morning, the 9th of April, to fly to Sydney and then I'm catching a flight with some other people in my group up to Cairns where the Great Barrier Reef is. We will spend a few days there and then fly back to Sydney and spend a few more days there. Kamaea, my kiwi sister, will be there so I'm excited to see her again. After Australia I head to the kingdom of Tonga for 4 days before returning to reality in the good ol' US of A.
You are going to LOVE Australia! Funny story about when we were in Cairns- you have to take a boat out to go to the Great Barrier Reef and when our family was purchasing the tickets, the guy gave us the total and my dad asked if the guy had counted everyone because the price was lower than it should be. The guy nodded understandingly and said, oh- I gave you all the kids price! My mom asked if that was OK and he said,"Oh- it's not really a lie- just a little fibby wibby."
ReplyDeletehaha- we found most of the Australians had that same laid back attitude. You're going to love it- although it's probably just like NZ so you probably already know. But Sydney is incredible- it reminded me of London!
When you get home I NEED to hear all about your trip and be shown all your pictures before I go home May 1st!
I know you're sad it's over- but I'm so excited to see you!!! This semester just hasn't been the same :)