Monday night we had an FHE with our director, Joy. Each pair has had a turn and Mekelle and I were the last to go. We could choose what we wanted to do, so we decided to hike around the Waitakere Ranges and go out to dinner. The Ranges are beautiful! The green, exotic vegetation is so beautiful. We hiked up to a certain point then climbed over some boulders to a little waterfall and waterhole area.



We went into downtown Auckland to a quaint little Italian restaurant called Covo. It was delicious and fun to be out on the town and see the city lit up at night.
Tuesday night we had another FHE with Jules' friend, Robyn, and her daughter, Tamara, whom we had invited over for our American dinner a few weeks ago. The missionaries came over and gave a good lesson on the Holy Ghost, we played a couple of games, and had lots of dessert. It was nice and I think everyone enjoyed it. I was proud of Jules for inviting Robyn - we've been working on it for a while now. After everyone had gone home, I started making cinnamon rolls to take to school the next day for morning tea as a thank you to all of the staff. This was also the last night the 5 of us would all be together because Jules, Kamaea, and Beau all left for Australia on Wednesday evening. We gave them the gifts we had brought and there were some tears as we said goodbye. It has been so wonderful living in their home and becoming part of their lives. Beau had already gone to bed, but we were all being too loud and he came stumbling out into the lounge so we were able to give him our gifts as well.
Wednesday was the day of my final observation! I'm so happy to have those over and done with. My cinnamon rolls were a big hit and I loved watching all of the teachers flock around the table to get one. Baking for others is one of my favorite things. :)
That night the YSA in our ward put together a "feed" for us. It was so great and I felt honored. The food was delicious and, as always, there was tons of it. There were only 5 other YSA kids there, but we all stayed most of the night and laughed and chatted as we all got to know each other now that the ice is finally broken. Hanging out with Islanders is so great. They have the best personalities and sense of humor.
Thursday was my LAST day at school. Definitely a bitter-sweet. The class surprised me with a "shared lunch" party. Pani brought traditional islander food (she's from the Cook Islands). It was amazing! Chop suey, Cook Islands mayonnaise salad dish, feijoa fruit, and even a Samoan chocolate drink. We had chocolate cake for dessert. The kids loved it.

All week long I was bribing the kids with "American 
You sound like such the perfect teacher!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're having so much fun! I can't wait for you to be home to hear all your stories.
ps. facebook me a message and let me know what district you applied for an internship with!