Well, I survived the first month, as well as 2 days of parent-teacher conferences and a field trip to the BYU Bean Museum (don't be fooled - it's a scientific animal-exhibit museum, not a display of various kinds of beans). The field trip was fun and the kids were really good. The girls were all competing over who got to sit by me on the bus. It was fun to just sit and chat with them outside of the classroom. We stopped at a park to eat sack lunches after the museum and I was eating a green apple. Suddenly a little boy (who is my quietest student) shouted out, "Ms. Homer!! I have a green apple too!!" He was so excited that we had the same apples. Haha. These kids are just so cute.
Parent-teacher conferences were successful - I had all but 3 students' parents come. (And, of course those were the parents I needed to talk with the most). They are all so supportive and nice. I loved seeing my students with their parents/families. It helped me see them in a new light. One of the little boys just sat their and giggled with his mom. They have a cute relationship.
Also, one of my students is trying to set me up with her uncle. I had just gotten done explaining center activities one day when I asked if anybody had any questions. She raised her hand, I called on her, and her question followed: "My dad wants to hook you up with my Uncle Nick." I was so caught off-guard by it that I just started laughing. Then across the room I heard another little voice ask, "What does hook up mean?" And then another voice answered, "It means you meet someone." Since the kids could see my reaction, the rest of the questions started coming - they think it's so funny to make me blush. "Who do you live with?" "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Why aren't you married?"....etc. I dodged all the questions by sternly telling them to get to work. But I was still trying to stifle my laughter. I was not going to have that discussion with my whole class of six-year-olds. But the girl wouldn't drop it. She even announced it to some of the other teachers, who of course started giving me a hard time about it. It got to the point where they were all expecting him to be at parent-teacher conferences. This student even drew a little portrait of him in a card for me and left it on my desk. (A stick figure with dots all over his face....) On the other side she drew a picture of the 2 of us getting married. It said, "Ms. Homer will you please marry my Uncle Nick then we can see each other." HAHA. So funny. She will still occasionally beg me to date her uncle, but I finally told her to just drop it.
Another fun happening was when I taught the kids how to draw 5-point stars. We were doing a Math lesson with addition story problems and I told them all to draw a certain number of stars. One little boy finally raised his hand and said, "Ms. Homer - I don't know how to draw a star. Can I draw a dot instead?" It was just so cute and innocent. I stopped the class and asked how many people didn't know how to draw a star - most of them raised their hands. That had never occurred to me. I just assumed they knew how to do it.....everyone knows how to draw a basic star, right? I often forget how young they are. So, I taught them all how to make a star, and walked around helping them correct the ones they had attempted. I couldn't believe how excited they were about it. They were bustling and showing off their completed stars to their neighbors, so proud of their new accomplishment.
No comments:
Post a Comment