Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Persuasive Writing

Today I introduced my students to persuasive writing. We did shared writing together and I used several examples to engage them. One was persuading Mr. Hardy, the principal, to let us keep a dog in our classroom. They had some clever responses. Another example I used was the kids persuading their parents to have a later bed time. They got so excited, it was adorable.

I then had them do some persuasive writing for ME as their audience. I told them there may or may not happen to be a package of oreos in my cupboard. They needed to persuade me why they should have one. I told them I didn't want obvious responses, like "because they taste good." I was trying to get them to really think of some valid reasons, and if they convinced me --they would get an oreo. (Of course, they would get one anyway.....I think they are finally figuring this out).

I laughed when I read their papers.
These were their responses - it's more adorable in their own handwriting and spelling, but I've included a few translations.

-Proby we have ben good!!
-Wey wrck hord. (We work hard.)
-We'l yoos ar vere best hand riteg. (We'll use our very best handwriting.)
-We are cwi it. (We are quiet) (.....yeah, right.)
-We love you Ms. Homer (ok....my heart just melted a little bit.)
-Kus we dusrv thiem and scooll is kooll. ('Cuz we deserve them and school is cool.) (...punk)
-becos we or pashit. (Because we are patient.)
-Because we learn
-Because we love you. (litte brown-nosers....)
-Because we're in 1st grad and we aer smart and we're a good class and your the best techer.
-One kid just made a numbered list: 1. goob (good) 2. licin (listen) 3. osome (awesome) 4. smart 5. laff (laugh)
-Another boy said, "I wot to have a oreo I will giv ol me bisebok toomoro. (I want to have an oreo; I will give all my busy-bucks tomorrow.) (These kids work hard to earn these "busy bucks" so the fact that he was freely giving them away....quite the bargainer.)
-One of my favorites: "Plesy giv we a oreo because you can make wishis with them. I love them." (I knew about wishes on stars, but oreos?...)

I love my little writers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment