Friday, August 12, 2011

Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?

Now that the summer is winding down and I'm getting ready to start school again, I've been thinking back on all that's happened this summer. It's always a blur, but I've enjoyed it so much! I've gotten time to relax, read, and play which is exactly what I wanted. :)

Here's a bit of a recap on the highlights:

A week before school out I went on a short trip to California with some girlfriends - a perfect way to kick off summer! I love spontaneous road trips, full of candy, music, and stories. And I love palm trees. We went to the beach, went to Downtown Disneyland and had dinner, got crazy with some henna tattoos, and played in Hollywood for a day - including VIP seats to the movie "Pirates of the Carribbean" (#4) at the El Capitan Theatre with popcorn and drinks. We also stopped in Las Vegas for a few hours to get some excellent shopping in at my favorite store, H & M. So much fun!


The last few days of school were sweet and tender as I got ready to say goodbye to my little first graders. I was crying, they were crying, I was happy to start summer break but sad to let them go. Talk about roller-coaster. I made a power-point of pictures and videos from all of our fun activities and memories throughout the school year - we went through so much together! I surprised them with it on the last day as we watched it together, then I gave them each an individual copy.
The next day (Saturday) Dustin and I attempted a hefty hike up in the mountains. Because there was still so much snow up there and the risk of avalanches, we hiked up for a few hours then decided to turn back around....and we SLID down the mountain. It was so thrilling - I was literally skiing down the side of the mountain on my feet, minus the actual skis. That's what I'm talkin about! :)



I spent a few weeks training for the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay Race that happened June 17-18. I was on a team of 12 people from Old Mill Elementary. Our team name was the "Old Mill Hooters." It was a blast! I'm so glad I did it. It started in Logan and finished in Park City - a total of 192 miles. Our total time was somewhere around 37 hours.
My first leg was 7 miles down a mountain road, the second leg was a midnight 8-mile uphill run, and my last leg was a 3-mile street run through Heber.


Four days after Ragnar, I went to the hospital for out-patient surgery (pre-scheduled) on my foot. They put me down, and I woke up an hour later with a huge boot. The doctor had to surgically remove some bad scar tissue I've been dealing with for over a year. I was on crutches for 1 1/2 weeks after that with a stylin' hospital boot while I waited for the giant incision across my heel to heal up. A good excuse to go through stacks of movies and organize my teacher files.
My little sis flew out to stay with me and help me out. I kinda liked having my own personal assistant and chauffeur....

It was fun having Shannon here. We went to the rodeo, went shopping (while she pushed me around in a wheelchair), star-gazing up the canyon, visited grandmas, went to Yo-Zone many times, celebrated the 4th of July, and watched a lot of movies. She got the whole college life experience.


I moved to Hampstead Condos for the spring/summer into a wonderful apartment of girls I have loved getting to know! I have loved living here and making so many new friends and doing fun things. There was a random night we girls decided to go up the canyon and have our own bonfire (complete with smores, banana boats, and starburst). I live around some awesome people!



My roommate, Kristen, got married in Mesa, AZ mid-July so I got to road-trip down to Phoenix for it with friends also in the wedding party. It was fun to be part of it and share her special day. The reception was beautiful and it was the perfect day!


I also had the opportunity to go home to good 'ol Brandon, SD for almost 2 weeks. It was so wonderful to be at home and truly relax. It was awfully humid, but worth it. ;-)
I got to go on dates with my mom and dad, talk with my sister, make my favorite California rolls, mow the lawn, visit the branch, try on my old prom dresses, see my high school friends, went to movies, and reminisce on pre-college life there. I love being home!


Last weekend my roommate, Nina, and I hosted a double birthday bash party for our other roommate, Noelle, and another friend, Chris. We wanted to go all out, and it was a fun time. We had a "beach" theme going - we decorated with lights, lanterns, tiki torches, tons of food, live music, etc. I even got to make a 4-layer cake! :)




Now, I'm getting ready for school to start in 2 weeks!! I've been living in my classroom lately....pics to come when I'm more ready. :)
I love love love summertime, but am now anxious to keep life moving along. Lots of good things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment