Wednesday we almost got our drawers put together – Levier and Jules have been working on them for us. They couldn’t figure out how to put the handles on. So, I went in, grabbed a screwdriver and started messing with it – and figured out how to put them on! Levier is so funny. All he said was, “Yay for America! America does not give up!” haha I about died laughing.
Thursday after school we went home with Breanna and Ashley to try to plan our Australia travels with some other kids in the group. But, some couldn't come so we just hung out for a while and took advantage of their wireless internet. Jules and Beau had left earlier that day to go camping for the weekend. Her sister had brought us over a seafood platter for dinner. I haven't had much seafood in my life before, but I'm always willing to try new things. It was tasty, but we ate some weird-looking things. Kind of fun though.
On Friday we started our last 2 classes - Teaching Science Education and Teaching Social Studies Education. Both professors seem nice, so it should be interesting. I'm just ready to be done with sitting in school all day. My family was still gone for the weekend, and so were Ashley and Breanna's (Jules' son), so we came home with Bre and Ash after school. The stake was holding a YSA pool party activity that night and Bre and I decided we wanted to get out and meet other people. Since our families weren't around to give us a ride, we took their bikes, looked up directions on Google and took off around 7 p.m., with the expectation that it would only take us 15 minutes to get there. They were doing the activity at Henderson High School. Long story short, basically we didn't get there until 8:15! Turns out you can never fully trust google maps, so some of the directions weren't correct. We took some round-about ways and turned around several times. But it started pouring rain on us pretty hard. So, we were lost, cold, wet, and hungry. The worst combo.
We finally found the high school and were so happy! But as we got closer, it looked pretty desolate. Nobody was around - it was dead quiet and not a person in sight. We guessed that since it was raining they might have cancelled it or just played games inside the church or something. We tried to text some girls we knew were going, but of course we were out of credit on our phone. We were finally accepting defeat. There was nothing else we could do at this point. So we started to head back, riding our bikes a different way through the high school campus grounds. Suddenly we came to a POOL! We could only see a few boys in the water and some music playing, but we didn't see anyone from our group. Breanna says, "Listen for an American accent!" We snuck up to peak around the building, still not seeing anyone we knew, so we didn't think it was the party we were looking for. We decided we would ride our bikes around the pool area, scope things out, and we could just leave if it wasn't the right one. Luckily, we saw faces we recognized and FINALLY found the right place! We were so relieved and laughing the whole time. It had been quite an adventure. More than anything, we just wanted food. It was fun, the boys were playing rugby in the pool and the girls were just standing around trying to keep warm, so we met some of them. The food never tasted better, and we told everyone our story. Bre and I stayed for a couple of hours, then headed home when it started to get dark. We got back and played guitar hero with Mekelle, Ashley, and Kamaea, then watched a couple of movies. One of them was "The Blindside." I loved it - I recommend it.
Saturday we got up, made breakfast with what food we could find, and then did homework for the rest of the morning. Later that night Monique took us into the city – we stopped at Savage Monument – a really pretty garden park that overlooks the ocean and the city. We walked around there for a while and then drove over to Mission Bay to get some gelato, then sat on the beach and ate it. I LOVE the beach! We had wanted to go to the mall, but everything closes between 5 & 6.....so we missed our chance.
Mekelle and I got home and did some laundry so they could hang-dry for the rest of the weekend. We decided we were sick of living out of our suitcases, so finished the dresser ourselves and finally unpacked! We’re hardcore.
Sunday morning we had the best breakfast ever – homemade pancakes....And then Jules pulls out the ice cream and sets it on the table. We were both a little puzzled. They put ice cream scoops on their pancakes and then drizzle syrup over it!! It was so delicious! Why didn’t I think of this before? I’ve had everything else on pancakes – eggs, peanut butter, fruit, chocolate, etc. But never ice cream. Try it – you won’t want to have pancakes any other way ever again. Plus, it is a really good excuse to eat ice cream for breakfast.
Church was good. I gave my talk in Sacrament meeting. It went pretty well and I felt okay about it. We came home and had a huge dinner of baked kumara (my favorite) and pumpkin, with chicken and steamed veggies. And for “pudding” we had “jelly”(jello) and ice cream. I love the food here. We just hung out with the family for the rest of the night.
ONE more week of classes to go.......
No comments:
Post a Comment