Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I love my kiddies

I made it through week #2 at Ranui.

Mrs. Tararo, my classroom teacher, is extremely strict and particular with her students. Especially with rubbers - a.k.a. erasers. The children are most definitely NOT supposed to use them for anything, as Mrs. Tararo believes they are unnecessary because they leave smudges and encourage children to do be lazy, resulting in messy work. Okay - being more of a Type A/perfectionist kind of a person who would always erase a word or letter if I didn't write it to my satisfaction, this is incomprehensible to me. As an alternative, Mrs. Tararo has the students put brackets around their mistakes and then continue on writing.
So, the students always softly whisper my name behind the teacher's back to when they don't understand something or need some help. They are terrified if they make a mistake. One little girl summoned me over to her desk and quietly claimed she had messed up the line she was tracing with a ruler. I stated, "Oh, no big deal, let's just erase it and start over. It's alright." Everyone within earshot of our conversation went quiet. Mrs. Tararo was still speaking to the class, but the look in the eyes of this table of students was pure horror as I proceeded to erase this little girl's crooked line in order for her to re-do it. Noticing that my student was uncomfortable, I asked her what the problem was. She quietly informed me with absolute simplicity, "She doesn't like rubbers much." It took me a second to realize what she meant. I told her that because I was the one that used it, it would be alight and to continue on with her work. I just chuckled to myself as I made my way back to my seat. Poor kid.

Another minor comedy occurred the other day:
Hallelujah and Hosanna. These are twin girls in Mekelle's Year 1 class - so they are about 5 years old. And yes, these are also the names their parents chose for them. Mekelle was telling me that she had to holler out to one of the girls to get her attention. Just picture it: Miss Mekelle outside, raising her voice over the chatter of the class, "Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" HAHAHA. Kills me. I wish I could have been there to hear her little personal worship session...

We were welcomed to the whanau once again at an official Prowfiri by all of the students at Henderson South Primary school where 4 of the BYU students are assigned. To be completely honest, it wasn't as powerful and spectacular as the small one performed for us, but fun to be a part of just the same. The kids are so cute when they sing in Maori. The principal and another head teacher welcomed us in Maori and then in English. We all felt very honored. We again did the hongi (press forehead to forehead and nose to nose) with all of the staff and some of the students. The male is traditionally the ones that speaks on behalf of everyone, and we happened to have a male in our group this year for the first time. He spoke some practiced words and presented a gift to the school, after which we all sang a Maori song as well - "Te Aroha." We sounded pretty dang good - harmonized and everything! These things are always centered around food, so of course they fed us after the ceremony. It was all so delicious. One of my new favorite food items here are mince pies - the ones I had where homemade bite-size pastries.... and to die for. (I've noticed that a lot of the students eat them for morning tea at Ranui.) Everyone was so kind and welcoming. I love the people here.

Other than that, I'm getting to know my students really well as I interact with them and observe what kind of learners they are. I love them all so much - it's amazing how fast you grow to love them and care about them - and they're not even my own class. I can see so much potential in each of them, even when others do not see as much.
One of my favorite quotes about teaching is by Henry Brooks Adams - "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." I still remember specific things I learned in my 1st grade classroom that has helped me throughout my life. My hope is that I will be that positive influence in the lives of my students. It's also weird to think that this may become a reality in 6 months!


Here is my classroom - Piwaiwaka 3
























Two of my girls (Savana and Victoria)
:















I love this picture - they have swimming class every Wednesday and Friday before lunch. They change into their "togs" right after Morning Tea and then sit with their little towels wrapped around them while they work on handwriting and literacy before it is our pool time. So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment