Mekelle even told me that one boy walked passed her after school and proclaimed, "Bye Miss Homa!" So now my own students are mistaking Miss Mekelle for me ...
We literally get asked this question once or twice a day. (Imagine a New Zealander accent: "Are yous sistas?) Especially when we're walking/talking together. After some pondering and discussion on the matter, we've just decided it's mostly because we're both white, have the same American accent and phrases, and we both have curly hair. Naturally, what else are these kids supposed to think? I have observed that all of them look the same too - I'll often mention to Jules that I met so-and-so or talked to someone and she'll respond, "Oh, what did they look like?" in case she might know them. Um....brown. With dark hair. Oh - and they had an accent? haha how do you distinguish between people who look so similar? So, I can understand where people are coming from when they believe we are sisters.
But the funniest thing happened. We were walking on the footpath on our way home from school yesterday afternoon just chatting about the day and not really paying attention to anything. Suddenly this guy says something to us in passing. I didn't catch it, so I stopped and asked him to repeat what he had said. "Are yous sisters?" While stifling a laugh I proceeded to tell him with a smile, "No, we're not. But we get that a lot." And, that was that. We walked away giggling and shaking our heads. Even random strangers....haha
I started singing the song "Sisters, Sisters" from "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas."Classic song.
So, what do you think?
Here are us New Zealand sisters:

And, the real sisters:

Actuality: I do currently have a tiny bit of blond in my hair. So my real sister and I get told we look alike at times. And, although this picture doesn't portray it, I am still taller than her. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment