We are still in Queenstown on the South Island. It has been the most amazing past few days! For a quick sum-up, we flew into Christchurch Wednesday and drove about 7 hours down to Queenstown. Thursday was an all-adrenaline day filled with bungy jumping and the shotover jet. So awesome!! The jump was 43 meters. The shotover jet included a 1-hour scenic ride through the mountains, which was pretty cool too.
Here are some pics from the bungy jump:


Friday we drove 4 hours southwest to Milford Sound - so worth the drive. We went on a boat for a couple of hours and the scenery didn't seem real. I've never seen anything like it! Wow. I took heaps of pics, but they don't really capture it all. It was my favorite place by far. I even saw dolphins swimming 5 feet away from me.Saturday was a free day, so a few of us hit up the market in the morning and shopped around some more, since this is such a huge tourist town, and got some good stuff. In the afternoon, we got a great deal on another boat ride just around Queenstown, where we got to sit on the very top of the boat. It was mellow, sunny, and relaxing and lasted a couple of hours. Saturday night we met as a whole group and went to the beach for a barbecue and played some games. Joy, my director, has this "BYU NZ Survivor 2010" thing going, where we earn points and become the survivor. So, we all racked up a few more points at least.
Sunday we went to church - at the local branch! I felt right at home. They are few in number, but so strong. After church we came back to our hostel and changed clothes, then jumped in the vans to go for a drive through the mountains. We saw some LOTR, Narnia, and Wolverine film spots and enjoyed a picnic at a park.
Monday will be another free day, and a few of us are going horseback riding in the morning, so I'm excited about that.
The South Island really is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Tuesday we head back to Christchurch to spend a few days there.
I'm loving it! :)
More updates to come when I get back from my trip. We all joke and say that we are "taking a vacation from our vacation." haha. I just feel so privileged to be here!
A vacation from a vacation- haha that's so funny.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could just take A vacation :)
Those places sound so pretty. I can't believe you went bungee jumping! so jealous.