And, it has finally come to a mostly-close. Ya know, working for an international souvenir manufacturing company can be kinda cool sometimes....
*My 1st day on the job, in a new and unfamiliar city, my boss sent me off to return a car part for him. And ever since, I've been the little "go-fer". That's one way to get to know a new place.
*Not everyone gets the job title of "Shipping Manager slash Secretary."
*Lets not forget my buddies, the UPS guys, as well as the numerous hours spent on the phone with UPS Canada. Gotta love those Canadian folks. My favorite was calling Quebec and getting a "Bonjour" greeting when they pick up the phone....and then I would just start speaking English, hoping they would understand me, which most of the time they wouldn't. It was more fun this way though.
*I got my own desk. I love having a desk. And I had the good view out of the window (the mountain.) Jon had the view of a run-down wooden house with horses in the field.
*I did things not usually typical of the the normal Secretary profession. Yes, I typed, organized, filed, faxed, invoiced, answered phones, and took messages. But I did so much more. Lets just say it involved building shelves, drilling, cleaning, hauling bulky things around. And of course, I refused to let people help me, so I learned how transport 85 lb boxes that are taller than me and package huge displays to be safely shipped across the continent. I had a method and I had my trusty tape gun.*And, the fun-filled fiestas and surprise parties we would have quite often. These were always the perfect excuse to just eat our lunch together and have Tres Leches cake. We would do potluck, order pizza or KFC. My favorite was when the ladies would bring their authentic Mexican dishes. Sooooo good.
*There were times I was "la jefa" - the woman in charge. It was stressful, but I did what needed to be done.
My boss, Jason, talked about getting filing cabinets probably since the day I was hired. Finally, 2 days before I left, we got some.....so I organized all the files and got things set up and ready to go for the girl who would fill my shoes.

My job has come to a "mostly-close" at Western Star because I will be stopping in now and then to help out - maybe on some Saturdays. I was there for a few late hours the other night training the new secretary. I might even go help out again next summer. We'll see what life brings....
All in all, I got to do some cool things and learn all about the inner-workings of a business, while discovering how much I will never want to run my own. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment