Thursday, July 22, 2010

happy highlights

It has been a great past week:

-My talk was successful.
-Crepe night was filled with interesting happenings and people. :)
-I went RUNNING twice, mostly foot pain-free for the first time in MONTHS. And found $7 on the sidewalk. Score.
-Blueberries are on sale.
-I had to be fingerprinted for the Wasatch District, so left work for a couple of hours to make a special trip to Heber to get it done. The lady exclaimed, "You have the cutest fingerprints!" Not a typical compliment, but I'll take it, haha. :)
-I went to ZUMBA with Cassidy as well as experienced Yoga for the 1st (and probably the last) time in my life. I love Zumba.
-I got most of my classroom set up, so am breathing a little easier now. (Pictures to come). I was the only person in the entire school, and I was loving it. I truly had the "run" of the school as I RAN through those halls and cranked my music. It was the best. I felt like a little bit of a rebel, only because this was never allowed as an actual student....
-I won a finger-painting contest.
-Got to experience NZ nostalgia. Listened to "Forever Young," looked through my pictures, emailed Jules (mum) & Pani (mentor teacher), then opened a bag of MINTIES. I also got to hang out with Kirsten (old roomie who has been to NZ). She burned me a CD with Maori songs. I also saw and chatted for a moment with Angela, who I went to NZ with.
-I saw "Eclipse."
-I hiked The Narrows in Zion's National Park (Southern UT). So awesome!
A group of 11 of us went, and as always with bigger groups, it takes longer. So a few of us broke off and decided to go on ahead because we got tired of waiting for everybody. Naturally, Dustin and I were in this group. I guess it's just the Homer way, haha. We hiked and trudged through the water (sometimes chest-high) for a good 3-4 hours. It was the PERFECT hike. Because you have towering rocky walls on either side, your in the shade; there aren't really any steep inclines, so you don't get winded and gross; and you're walking against the current while dodging huge slippery rocks, so you feel pretty dang hardcore, plus I had to carry my backpack over my head at certain points. And, the fact that it is beautiful! Be jealous.


We had gone several miles before we heard the rolling thunder over-head. After we heard it again, we decided we should probably turn around. It started raining, and because it is desert rock, it doesn't absorb the water, so a flash flood can happen pretty fast. Dustin was pretty worried. We just had to move fast. For me personally, I was a little excited, and not worried one bit. It added that edge to the adventure of it all - ya know, the threat of a flash flood as the thunder is rolling thousands of miles above us, where we were actually in the narrowest part of the whole canyon and high ground wasn't common?... Yeah. I was loving it. Dustin said he was worried enough for all of us, so it was fine. I was bookin' it as much as I could but I wasn't as fast as I wanted to be or could have been. a.) I have gimp foot b.) I was wearing my crocs. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, so that was probably the stupidest call I could have made. I might as well have gone bare-foot. c.) We were going with the current on the way back and those rocks are polished and SMOOTH, let me tell ya. The current got really strong in certain spots, so to avoid breaking my ankle I was trying to be a little careful. I'm not the kind who's apt to play the 'damsel in distress' role, but there were times when I would grab for one of the boys' arms and they would catch me just in time. Dustin was about ready to just pick me up and carry me back. We made it out just fine and even met up with the rest of our gang. As we were walking out of the park, we saw this sign and just laughed:

It was an awesome day. My shins are blue and purple from slipping all over those rocks and my clothes never completely dried, but it was totally worth it. We're going to go all the way next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment